Wednesday 7 August 2013

Midnight Frost by Jennifer Estep

"Have you met met Gwen?" Daphne sniped. "Because crazy is kind of her thing. Believe me, t his is mild compared to some of the stunts she's pulled."
~ Daphne Cruz pg.204 Midnight Frost
Here we go again … 

Just when it seems life at Mythos Academy can’t get any more dangerous, the Reapers of Chaos manage to prove me wrong. It was just a typical night at the Library of Antiquities — until a Reaper tried to poison me. The good news is I’m still alive and kicking. The bad news is the Reaper poisoned someone else instead. 

As Nike’s Champion, everyone expects me to lead the charge against the Reapers, even though I’m still hurting over what happened with Spartan warrior Logan Quinn. I’ve got to get my hands on the antidote fast — otherwise, an innocent person will die. But the only known cure is hidden in some creepy ruins — and the Reapers are sure to be waiting for me there 


Arya: When I first picked up the Mythos Academy series, I'd known I wanted to read it right away; not only was the cover pretty cool, but I have an extreme love for books that set themselves in academies. Two months ago, I started reading the series, and by the time I was finished with the one I was reading - Dark Frost at the time - I was scrambling for the rest of the books! They were amazing! When I'd finished them, I was groaning and crying that I'd have to wait so long for Midnight Frost, especially since Logan Freaking Quinn had left Gwen in Crimson Frost! As can be expected, I had high hopes when I started reading this.
However, as much as I loved it, this book was not as well written as I'd hoped. It isn't to say that it had little action, but the plot itself was not as heart-gripping as the previous books. This one lacked the 'oomph' factor that made all the other books so amazing, even though I could barely put it down the entire time I was reading it. 
The part that I DID love though, was when Logan reappeared to Gwen. The way he did it? Love!!! Yes, I have a weakness for dramatic entrances... I would very much like to spoil it, but I won't, because that would be mean. However, another fact is thrown out in our faces: Gwen's own father was a Reaper! Surprised? I sure as hell was! I was in love with the plot twist Jen threw in here, but it didn't cause as much disruption in the story as I'd hoped. Sure, she ran off a bit and she connected with her cousin, but it didn't really cause any change in the story at all - everything still went rather smoothly. Still, there is appreciation on finding out more about our favorite Gypsy girl's background!
I'm always a sucker for books with romantic drama, even though that's usually more up Kay's alley. I felt that in certain parts, Jen could have put a few more details concerning the relationship between Gwen and Logan. There was a lot of heartache and mushiness, that's for sure, but it lacked the sweet dialogue, the words from our sexy blue-eyed Spartan to make the reader melt with cuteness. As a result, while the scenes were moderately cute, they weren't really that great.
Still, the plot was fun, it was new and exciting, with the poisoning of Nickamedes, but at the same time, it felt a bit too simple. Some parts of the story were easy to predict, especially with Covington, and while other parts were a shocker, especially the father part, there was far too little emphasis on it. While a good story, and a good book, it also does not particularly live up to the expectations left by Midnight Frost.


The depths of Arya's mind say...

The next book of the Mythos Academy series, Killer Frost - awesome title isn't it? xD - is set to come out around March next year. I'd post teasers, but none are up yet... And so, until then, keep reading and discovering new worlds! Much love,
~Arya

No comments:

Post a Comment