Thursday 17 April 2014

The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa

"Jackal's gaze was mocking but dangerous. 'Let's go kill ourselves a psychopath.'"
~Forever Song

Allison Sekemoto once struggled with the question: human or monster? 

With the death of her love, Zeke, she has her answer. 

MONSTER 

Allie will embrace her cold vampire side to hunt down and end Sarren, the psychopathic vampire who murdered Zeke. But the trail is bloody and long, and Sarren has left many surprises for Allie and her companions—her creator, Kanin, and her blood brother, Jackal. The trail is leading straight to the one place they must protect at any cost—the last vampire-free zone on Earth, Eden. And Sarren has one final, brutal shock in store for Allie. 

In a ruined world where no life is sacred and former allies can turn on you in one heartbeat, Allie will face her darkest days. And if she succeeds, triumph is short-lived in the face of surviving forever alone.



Arya: Alright, so all of you remember how in the last book, The Eternity Cure, we ended off with Zeke being killed - shh! He was turned into a vampire, but Allie doesn't know that, so no telling. So, of course we started off the book with a seriously dead-to-the-world Allison Sekemoto. I mean, the guy she loved was killed by a psycho vampire. Of course that had some effect on her. Meaning she basically went crazy and fell to the monster inside her. All that time I was sitting there reading, I was like 'No! Allie! The hell do you think you're doing?! Zeke would never have wanted that!' But of course, she's just a book character, so she couldn't exactly hear me. xP Herpderp. Either way, of course, we eventually got to the part where Allie and Zeke met up again. All I can say is holy hell. I mean, just, ah! Of course, the outcome was kind of obvious, but the suspense, the tension, the need to know was gripping me with an iron fist! Didn't help that I was in the middle of class either. It was terrifying! For a moment, I'd truly believed that one of them would come to an end. It was so intense I could barely breathe.
Jackal: Let's start with this guy first, shall we? He went through, such a process it took my breath away. I was just sitting here for so much of it, awed by his heroism. Heroism to describe Jackal. Weird, isn't it? But it's true. At the end, he knew exactly what he had to do, and he did it, even at risk to his own life. But of course, he came out on top, just like he always said he would. There was just one part about him that bothered me. He mentioned that he wasn't just with the group for the cure to Rabidism. Any guesses as to what the reason actually is? Does he love Allie? Does he want Kanin's approval at long last? Or does he want to atone for any sins during his life? Leave your thoughts in the comments! But anyways, just loved this character. I was so sad at the end... but not because of what you think. Just a teaser!
Kanin: I don't know about you, but I was always a Kanin fan over Zeke. I loved his silent strength, his agony over his decisions. Maybe that actually explains a lot about me, but whatever. It always struck me how he could be so strong, yet baring the destruction of the world on his shoulders. At the end, I promise I nearly cried at the end. What he did? It was absolutely awe-inspiring. Maybe it was partly selfish on his part, but to actually go through with it? It was amazing. Julie definitely created a winner with this character.
I can't believe it took me this long to get to Zeke. What can I say about him? How about how he started out as a murderous psycho? Not because he wanted to be, trust, but that's how he started out. The first time I read about him, I was just thinking there was something wrong. It was too easy. It couldn't have been that simple. And it proved not to be. But throughout the book, I got to see this new side of him. Not the compassionate hero he's always been, but a cool, lethal hunter. As I compared the old and the new, there were still traces of the old in him, but most of it had changed, except when he was around Allie. It just made me appreciate him all over again.
Allison: And finally, we get to our main character. Allison just proved how human a supposed monster could be. As I watched her compassionate nature shine through, I was just trying to see Allie the Fringer in her. There was hardly any similar points anymore. Sometimes to me it felt like the Fringer was only half of who she could be, and as a vampire, she finally reached her full potential, and was the person that she was always meant to be. Her transformation just stunned me and awed me into submission. She grew up so much during this last book, and she lost so much that it broke my heart. I wished life could be easier, but considering her circumstances, I doubt I could have done any better. She's awe-inspiring, just like her sire.
All in all, amazing book! I loved it, seriously. There were some parts that were a bit iffy to me, but it caught me from beginning to end. I could barely put it down, even though I knew I had a test to study for xP. It was just so good. Definitely recommend this to anyone who loves vampires.

The depths of Arya's mind is a wicked place, and from it comes...


9.5 stars! 
Well done! So looking forward to your next book!
If there are characters as wonderful as all your other books, it'll definitely be a winner!

However, until that next book, much love from us to you. Keep reading and enjoying the Infinite Worlds
~Kay and Arya


No comments:

Post a Comment